Did you know that 'Bring your dog to work day' was established in 2013, and this year the dedicated day is 23rd June?
8% of workers are permitted to bring their dogs to the office currently, but is this just a fad or a real part of improving our working environments, and the integration of work and home life? Let's consider some of the pros and cons, and tips for introducing.
So what are the benefits for us workers?
- Creates an open and friendly environment
- Having dogs around lowers stress by up to one third
- Stroking dogs leads to the release of oxytocin which helps social bonding
- Pets in the work space can contribute to making people become up to 26% more trusting
What are the downsides?
- Small offices might struggle with space
- What if everyone wants to bring their dog? Dog overcrowding/doggy dynamics
- Potential mess & smells - 'accidents', shedding, slobber and fleas
- Other workers who are not dog fans/have dog allergies
Mina shares some great advice and information for how to go about bringing dogs in:
'The RSPCA has a thorough 18-point checklist for bringing your dog in, including making sure they aren’t trip hazards and that they are always supervised.
Larger companies, such as Nestle who introduced dogs last year, give dogs a probation, a passport and insist on worm and flea checks – more tests than the average colleague has!
In large companies there are a few hoops to jump through to make dogs welcome in the office – from insurance to installing baby gates and establishing neutral zones for colleagues who want to remain hair free.'
So why not have a chat to your boss and see what the possibilities are - 'Bring your dog to work day 2017’ is around the corner - on the 23 June - it's a charity initiative raising money for All Dogs Matter, who re home London dogs.
I for one (as a remote, home based worker) have my dog (meet Darcy the English Pointer) at work with me every day, and as a dog lover, if I were office based with my colleagues, I would love the opportunity to bring Darcy to work!
Are you able to bring your dog to work? (if yes please post a picture!! - simply press the image icon at the top of your reply box and upload your picture)
Would your employer embrace 'Bring your dog to work day 2017?'