Brexit starts to bite?

HR in the news today with news that a survey sent to the British Leafy Salad and Brisitsh Summer Fruits members have reported a lack of seasonal workers for the fruit picking season.

In addition that 78% of respondents stated that recruitment was now more difficult than last year and 20% saying it had been the hardest for years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40354331

So how can HR step up to support this?, is there a solution and creative thinking required here - it would be great to hear your view.

Sarah

You need to be a member of DPG Community to add comments!

Join DPG Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Sarah, our impending BREXIT is being blamed for countless employment issues at the moment. While it may be causing workers from EU countries to feel a little unsettled and uncertain about their future in the UK, others are confident that the economic climate will take some time to change and that actually the benefit in working in the UK is still apparent to them. In the business I work for, in the manufacturing sector, I have seen some individuals choose to move back to an EU country in recent months. On the flip side, many others have been working here for a number of years and due to having permanent residence have no intention of leaving the UK. I believe Katy has a point below in that jobs involving manual labour are often portrayed as less skilled and are not promoted as other career paths may be promoted to young people. We need to look at the skills and requirements of the young people entering the jobs market and ensure all levels of suitability are catered for, especially if we are concerned about BREXIT having such an impact.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Hi Katy

Yes I think you are right and could provide young individuals initially with some work experience and an introduction to the world of work.  That said I've been fruit picking before and it is pretty back breaking work!

All the best

Sarah

• Yeah I've seen quite a bit on Twitter today about - it is becoming more and more difficult to filter out the facts and realities in this mess.

https://twitter.com/Richmond6/status/877781441404424192

Some good points (if not somewhat tongue in cheek) made in this tweet stream 

Howie on Twitter
    “@mrjamesob @Sathnam Fruit grower voted for Leave, has 2500 workers entirely from Europe, says his business will fail if he cannot have them in 2019.…
This reply was deleted.

Members

Click here to see a full list of members including our Facilitators.

Did you know that if you go to the list of members, the Members Online button will show you who is online right now? Why not say hello?

CIPD Branch Events

Did you know your local CIPD branch will put on relevant events that are free to CIPD members.

Take a look for your local branch here and what events are happening. Remember attending these events are great CPD evidence.

CIPD Branch Event Search