Hi all,

I'd just like to get some advise/opinions on the extent to which HR duties should be devolved to Line Managers. We have a couple of Back to Work interviews to conduct this week and I'm wondering if that should be done by the Line Manager, HR or both together? Should HR sit in on PDRs?

We're also using a method of informal performance management called Quick Adjustment Chats as a way to nip unsuitable behaviour in the bud before it becomes an issue. These chats are recorded for 3-6 months in case of repeated behaviour. Should these be done by HR or the Line Manager?

I'd be really interested to hear some thoughts.

Thank you,

Chrissy

You need to be a member of DPG Community to add comments!

Join DPG Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Chrissy,

I agree with Becky that HR is there as an advisory service and would definitely delegate things like Return to Work interviews and the chats you refer to out to Line Managers. You may need to spend some time guiding them in the first couple they do but once they have done a couple they should fly with them.

HR have monthly meetings with Line Managers in my company so that we can discuss, coach and develop our management teams on such HR related activity. I think if you put this time in you reap the benefits in regards to time given back to HR that can be spent on 'Value added HR activity'. You also find that managers become more engaged in the process and feel like you are helping develop their skills and in turn potential to progress within the organisation. I am in the process of getting our Line Managers to observe things such as disciplinary hearings so going forward they can maybe take the reigns with simple conduct issues but with HR advising.

I hope this helps, Lisa.

• Hi Chrissy,

You have obviously had a few responses already, but wanted to share my current practices. I encourage Line Managers to deal with the actual absence reporting and return to work process, interviews and documentation. To establish clear areas of responsibility, I created a document which for each work task, I identified what HR was responsible for and equally what Line Managers were responsible for. That helped a lot.

I strongly believe the performance management, in whatever format it takes place, should be conducted by the Line Managers, since they are the people who are in direct contact with those employees.

All the best

Debbie

• Thanks everyone for your thoughts, it's been really helpful, and I feel like I have a bit more information to back up my stance that Line Managers can carry out some of these tasks as well. 

Chrissy

• You've got some great replies here Christine :)

Line managers are massively important in supporting both HR and L&D 

Here is the CIPD Factsheet on the role of line managers http://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-resources/factsheets/role-line-managers-hr...

Mike

• Hi Chrissy, 

Having been an HR manager, capability resource manager and line manager, I am very supportive of line managers applying HR policy and procedures and therefore being first point of contact in staff matters…it really does help relationships. In my experience of working in a large organisation, line manager capability is absolutely key to success. In our matrix line management team we were very successful at managing staff, getting it right and minimising issues simply because it was our job, we were accountable and we were measured on our professionalism and success as line managers. Only if we were unable to interpret and apply policy to the matters presented did we seek HR support. Staff were better for liaising more with their line managers and so was the function we managed – there was consistency of approach and minimal draw on HR advisors. However, my caveat to pushing out responsibilities to line managers that are used to having HR nearby is to educate, train and support them. Line management is one of the hardest jobs; managers need to consider both the individual and the organisation and are constantly balancing this whilst they support the staff empathetically, develop them as well as discipline them – this requires a range of skills and its both tough and rewarding with high expectations placed on the line manager. 

Bottom line is, train, educate, provide a support network internally – line managers need support to do their job well so HR can do theirs.

Hope this insight helps…

Regards

Barbara.

• Hi Christine,

Im actually making our line managers more accountable for the same sort of things. I would say they are definitely the line managers remit.

Its quite difficult as everyone has different skills and ways of handling things, this is how I am going about it

1) Holding a training session with all line managers to outline their responsibilities and give them a refresher on company polices

2)Issuing an HR guide giving the suggested way of handling different situations

3)Have created a log so each incident can be sent to me to authorise the next move

Hopefully I can then free up some time!! Love the idea of quick adjustment chats.

Kellie

• Line managers all the way:)) they should be fronting these discussions our role is to support them.

Encourage the manager to prepare these discussions and maybe role play with you. Particularly if they are inexperienced. These tasks are time consuming and should be led by the manager.

Claire
  • Thanks Becky and Sarah for your answers, that's pretty much what I thought. 

I think there are one or two in my organisation who are trying to use the new HR function (i.e. me!) to take care of all the difficult or time consuming issues they don't want to deal with, so it's good to know that a certain amount of devolution is fairly common practice. I'll continue to encourage the Line Managers to take these tasks on with my support.

Thanks again,

Chrissy

• Hi Chrissy

Great post I agree with Becky it is all contextual and really depends on line manager capability and also the culture of the business.

I have worked in organisations where the business model was most HR tasks was devolved to the line with a Shared Services support for employee relations case management which they could refer to and then Business Partners for the strategic issues.

I have also worked in organisations where HR was expected to attend every meeting including all interviews.  I am a big fan of the former as I think HR can add more value by focussing on the broader strategic issues than hand holding line managers for simple HR processes but as I said line manager capabliity is key.

I hope this helps

Sarah

• Hi Christine, 

I guess every company is different so it will be a case of what suits the needs of the individual organisation, but I would generally say that HR is there in an advisory capacity and so it would be for the line manager to conduct things such as back to work interviews, performance reviews and informal discussions about issues. 

I would generally only get involved (first line) when things become formal (disciplinary, grievance, etc.) or when the Manager specifically needs support (i.e new manager having to do something for the first time), although for the latter, I would still only be there for support - the Manager has to be the one to have the discussion, etc. 

Hope that helps. 

Many thanks 

Becky

This reply was deleted.

Members

Click here to see a full list of members including our Facilitators.

Did you know that if you go to the list of members, the Members Online button will show you who is online right now? Why not say hello?

CIPD Branch Events

Did you know your local CIPD branch will put on relevant events that are free to CIPD members.

Take a look for your local branch here and what events are happening. Remember attending these events are great CPD evidence.

CIPD Branch Event Search