Proof of Medical Appointments

Good morning everyone

I have just been asked by one of our Line Managers where we stand if we request proof of attendance at a medical appointment and we don't get it.  We do not pay our staff for attendance at medical appointments unless under certain circumstances so we can't deduct pay from him.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Rachel

You need to be a member of DPG Community to add comments!

Join DPG Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Have you got a time off work policy or is this in your absence policy/staff handbook etc?
    We allow for paid time off for hospital appointments with proof of medical letter. For normal doctor appointments we ask the employee to make the time up.
    Penny :)
  • Thanks for your replies. Yes, the Line Manager did not believe the absence was genuine as it was the employees last shift on nights before returning to permanent days.  The person in question said he had a hospital appointment so would probably have received a letter. However, since I posted this he actually rang in sick on the day he had requested time off. We can't prove he wasn't ill but it has certainly set alarm bells ringing.

• Didn't read this but before posting. In return to work can you or the line manager discuss the absence and say 'were you able to attend the hospital appointment', ask how it went. Ask if they need support etc.
  • Hi Rachel

OK so is the request for the proof so that we know the absence from work is genuine? I think this is probably a bit impractical as I think most employees would struggle to obtain proof from a GP they had an appointment?  If you paid for the time off I would maybe consider it but personally I think I would scrap the requirement as not really sure what it achieves?

But to answer your question if the requirement for proof was contractual or a rule within the staff handbook then maybe this would be open to a potential misconduct issue, but I think that would be a bit heavy handed but I guess as ever it depends on the context.  If you are an organisation with high absence and lots of employees taking time off for appointments this may be your only option.

Not sure if this helps!

All the best

Sarah

• I would say that it depends on the circumstances, do you doubt that the employee had an appointment? is he frequently absent? is there a pattern?

I would deal with this in attendance management.

Kellie

This reply was deleted.

Members

Click here to see a full list of members including our Facilitators.

Did you know that if you go to the list of members, the Members Online button will show you who is online right now? Why not say hello?

CIPD Branch Events

Did you know your local CIPD branch will put on relevant events that are free to CIPD members.

Take a look for your local branch here and what events are happening. Remember attending these events are great CPD evidence.

CIPD Branch Event Search