Have you already registered for the free webinar on Emotions at Work? You'll find details by clicking here.
If you've already registered, join us before and after the webinar in the discussion here:
HR, Organisational Development and Learning & Development professionals are being encouraged to look beyond policy, process, one size fits all solutions and traditional learning methods towards a world that supports the individual, focuses on business outcomes, supports freedom and self directed learning and most of the all, gets out of the way.The challenge, this is redefining credibility, expectations and ways of working to both us as the HR/OD/L&D professional and to the business people we work with. Even more so though, it triggers a whole load of emotions for people, possible examples:
- Joy - At last, this is amazing and just how I want my work to be, let's get on with it.
- Anxiety - I don't think that is me? It is a really different way of working and I'm not sure if that is me or that I can do it.
- Loss - But that process/policy is what has protected business for decades. If we don't have that, how will we manage?
- Frustration - That is all well and good, but that is not what my boss or my stakeholders say they want from me.They want me to do what they tell me, I'm not allowed to talk about impact on business outcomes, I need to get 100% compliance or completion.
- Determination - I know it is going to be hard work and I need to get support and commitment but I know that this will make things better for people so I am going to do it.
- Offence - That goes against my beliefs or experience. Sure that sounds great and the practical reality is that is a million miles away from where I or my company is, it's a pipe dream.
There are many more possible reactions and these are here to provide an illustration and remember, these are just from the perspective of the L&D/OD/L&D professional. If we explored the possible reactions from individuals/stakeholders/managers in businesses they may be different.The point, Emotion is At Work here and there is no hiding from it.One thing we can do to help us be successful as individuals as well as helping the businesses we work within perform, is harness the power of emotion. Emotion is firing and affecting what is thought and actions that are taken. The choice? Ignore it or actively work to understand, channel and harness it.
Over the next few weeks, myself and Phil Willcox will be sharing posts, videos and articles that can help and assist in making the most of Emotion At Work in individuals, between people and within organisations.