You really can't have your cake and eat it when it comes to L&D and HR events industry events. There's a whole range of events to choose from in the first place. Then there's a whole choice of sessions at those events, on a whole manner of interesting, relevant and thought-provoking topics.
That's certainly the case when it comes to this year's Learning Live. Hosted by the Learning and Performance Institute each year, it's on the 9th and 10th September. There's so much to choose from. When it comes to picking session a, b, c or d, I could do with splitting myself in two. Or three! On one hand, for example, I want to test out my ideas on personalisation and see what else I can pick up. On the other hand, curation is crying out for my attention given it's importance in the future of L&D.
Choices, choices, choices!
All this choosing has got me thinking generally about the choices we make on our valuable development. Perhaps more importantly the reasons behind making those choices. The 'why'. There's so much choice on how we could be developing, it's sometimes difficult to see the wood for the trees. But we have to prioritise in some way. Is it just me, or are there several questions that jump into your mind too?
How do you rationlise and prioritise your own development and help others to do the same?
I've put some of my thinking behind the decisions I've made on what sessions to attend at Learning Live. How similar is this thinking to yours when you choose your own development or support others with theirs? Perhaps there are other considerations?
- What am I naturally attracted to?
- What doesn't sound like my thing?
- Should I go what i'm naturally attracted to, or should I step outside the comfort zone and go for something that's different that I might warm to?
- What will give me the biggest return?
- What aligns with the needs of the organisation?
- What will bring the most value back to the organisation?
- What are the hot topics and trends and which sessions align to those?
- What do I know least about and might therefore develop the most from?
- Which are my colleagues going to? Should we pick the same and collaborate or pick different and share?