Hi Everyone,

I work in mental health workforce learning and want to have some literature ( videos , photos) playing on the screen during the registration period ( half hour before the training starts)

Something that will help people ponder. My wife who is in HR introduced me to the concept of pygmalion effect and using that as a way to engage the audience. 

I am covering a topic of trauma and the session is for new staff.

Would like to know if anyone has tried this.

Thanks

Vinay

You need to be a member of DPG Community to add comments!

Join DPG Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you are looking for music that can be used to create a mood during a training session. dordle

Dordle
    Get ready with Dordle, a brand new version of Wordle with fun puzzles and user-friendly upgrades! Challenge yourself right now!
  • Thank you all for your positive feedback :)

Will try to implement music and positive affirmations as part of my training process

• I am not sure that everyone will have heard about the Pygmalion effect, they may know it as the Rosenthal effect.

Some may expect it to be something created by George Bernard Shaw, but no it's a phenomenon whereby higher expectations lead to an increase in performance, which is I suppose a connection with the great man's play and the musical with Audrey Hepburn that it inspired.

The effect is named after the Greek myth of Pygmalion, a sculptor who fell in love with a statue he had carved, or alternately, after the Rosenthal–Jacobson study. 

The pygmalion effect does work, but it works most effectively if it is put into action long before the person arrives in the training room. 

You have to make sure that every communication about the training course reinforces the benefits to the learner and the impact that they will be able to have on their organisation and colleagues.

If the person has been sent to the course because they have a problem they arrive as a broken person, or if the training has been positioned as a tick in the box exercise that everyone has to do then the person will see the training in that context.

To benefit from the Pygmalion Effect I would focus on getting three things right

• Attitude - work ahead of the course so that you have trainees who arrive with high expectations of themselves and you as their trainer. They need to intend to leave with something they did not have when they arrived
    • Content - make sure that your content is going to stretch your trainees, so know what they already know and make sure that you know more than them.
    • Environment ensure that your training environment, the room, decoration, heating, tables chairs the washrooms and the food are all designed for learning and communicating to people that they are special because they are on the course and what they are learning is importan

• Hi vinay,

Good post, I have used the rotating slides as participants enter the room. Again normally positive affirmations and quotes. You could introduce some content here in a few slides, simple facts and statements, then refer back to them in your introduction, i.e. “You may have seen in the slides that  eight out of ten cats prefer whiskers, we will find out later on why this is”  this will create a sense of anticipation as well, but link this to the days objectives so it has relevancy to any material they have already seen.  Accompany this with some up beat music to help create a learner state of positive curiosity.  

• If you are looking for music that can be used to create a mood within a training session it might be useful to consider this 3 CD set of music music for learning which won't get you into trouble with the Performing Rights Society

WPLC learning resources for business achievements - DPG
  • This reply was deleted.
    • I agree with Kathryn, the more you can get people engaged and talking to the other people on the course before the training actually starts the better. It's like an organic ice-breaker LOL

Never rely on just one form of training media. It might work for you, but it may not work for your trainees you have to cover every learning style and learning level

This reply was deleted.