One of my main projects in my new role is to improve the onboarding process.  The experience employees have in their first 3 months at a company determine how long they are likely to work there for.

What do you think are the key things that need to be considered when building a new onboarding process?

You need to be a member of DPG Community to add comments!

Join DPG Community

Replies

• Hi Natalie

I looked in to something similar at one of my old companies. I found this blog article really interesting and made me think particularly about the 3 development cycles which constitute onboarding.

http://www.greenhouse.io/blog/onboarding-theory-what-are-the-3-deve...

Thanks

Chris

Onboarding Theory: What Are the 3 Development Cycles of Proper Onboarding? | Greenhouse
    By thinking about onboarding as three distinct efforts occurring at the same time—specifically, personal growth, group immersion, and company embodim…
  • Hi Natalie

We have just revamped our onboarding process and here are some of the things we have implemented:

1) Improved communication during hiring process - Making sure recruiters are talking to the candidate throughout the process, and are officially introduced to their HR point of contact who will support them during the onboarding. Some employees are hired months in advance of their start date (due to lengthy notice periods with current employer) so we dont want them to think we've forgotton about them.

We also send out a small welcome gift before they join with a note to say we are looking forward to working with them. This seems to have gone down well.

2) Connecting with them on their first day - Many of the employees we hire are not based in the UK, so we ensure someone from HR contacts them on their first day (also leading up to their start date)

3) Onboarding session - A short presentation with HR on their first day to give background of the company, key contact details and a few admin tasks (such as issuing policies, showing them how to submit timesheets and expenses ect)

4) Success plan - A plan written by the manager and HR to give to the employee on their first day. It lists objectives and timelines for the employee during their first 3-6 months.

5) Regular reviews at 1 month, 3 months and 6 month with HR and manager. This is to ensure the employee feels supported and also to review performance against the objectves set on their first day.

I think the type of onboarding plan really depends on the type of company, the size of the company and the role.

In my previous company, I helped with the onboarding for our inhouse contact centre, and that was alot different to what I do now. 

Hope this helps!

• Hi Leanne,

I'm currently going through the re-vamp of our onboarding process and looking at cost effective gifts. Please can I ask what you would usually send in advance of them starting?

Thank you

• Hi Laura - We send out company branded items with a welcome note. Currently Bluetooth speaker.

• Hi Natalie

TrainingJournal did a webinar on onboarding last month: http://www.trainingjournal.com/articles/video/tjwow-webinar-recordi...

Hope you can get some useful ideas from the discussions.

TJwow webinar recording January 2018 - onboarding
    WATCH THE RECORDING HERE The question for discussion was "How can L&D support new arrivals to deliver immediate performance?" –– ADVERTISEMENT ––…
    • Hi,

This has been really helpful Eva, thank you for sharing.

Natalie

• Pleasure Natalie. Hope your new onboarding journey is coming along nicely.

Eva

• Hi Natalie,

Among the many thoughts that spring to mind there is one that I think is key, and often overlooked.

At the end of their first day, they will go home and someone who is important to them will ask them “How was your first day in your new job?”.

How do you want them to answer that question?

Make sure that on their first day, you set the day up so that they answer that all-important question the way you would want them to.

Indeed, you could run the same test on every touch point that you have with them from the beginning of the recruiting process right through.

Cheers, Paul

• Hi Paul,

Thank you for your feedback - I find it extremely useful and agree it is important to always keep that question in mind.

We have created a 30-day survey so hoping to get some positive and constructive feedback early on.

Natalie

• Hi Natalie

I was involved in a project looking at this in my previous role.

Some of the key things that I believe need to be considered at work are : 

1. Make them feel welcome - we introduced welcome packs for Day 1 which included branded merchanise a notebook, pen, water bottle, a free lunch voucher all in a branded bag.

2. Ensure they feel connected -  this includes meeting and having links to all key contacts within the organisation. Provide them with a buddy, who can be there go to person for the initial few months.

3. Provide them with the information they need to be successful in their new role - This can include a structured induction, assigning a coach/mentor etc.  Regular catch ups with their line manager are also key. 

There are also some things that you can do before the individual/s start at the company - one thing that worked well was a welcome evening the week before the start date,  if you have a number of new people starting on the same day. This meant that they could get to meet their manager/trainer/other new starters they would be working with before Day 1.  This also included a tour of the building, opportunity to ask questions, an overview of the induction programme. 

Let me know if you want to discuss further Natalie and good luck with the project!

This reply was deleted.