I have an ethical and legal dilemma and love to know if anyone in my network has any insight on how to deal with it: I’ve been contacted by an individual asking me to remove a forum post about an HR Manager who was given a prison sentence for blackmailing vulnerable workers. No reason was given for the request to remove. My moral compass says that the world has a right to know about this (and to leave the post where it is), but am I legally or ethically obligated to remove the post?

Also, one of my connections is connected to this person on LinkedIn - do I tell them?

You need to be a member of DPG Community to add comments!

Join DPG Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Gary

My view would be the same as Samina's. If it is in the public domain and the person was given a prison sentence (found guilty), and there is no court judgement making it private (most likely given their name is shared) and therefore you would be able to share it. We had a few of those in Social Work and same now in HR, which was even shared by our governing bodies and used in case law excercises etc.

Also on social media, if someone doesn't like what is posted, personally i think they should carry on scrolling. Your personal social media isn't the right of any employer and also nor have you posted anything that would put you in a bad light! You are merely sharing information.

You carrying on being you :) !

• Hi Gary,

If the information is in the public domain, I cannot see any legal dilemma here, unless the person had appealed the conviction and had it overturned-then you would need to update or remove it.  In terms of ethics; I believe the reluctance to share information and attempts to silence the news are very concerning ethical issues.  

In this case, the abuse of power occurred.  If it had been an unsuccessful 'attempt' then that may be a 'grey area'-(legally and ethically).  

It's up to you to decide whether to tell your contact on LinkedIn.  I would only do that if the lack of knowledge is likely to be damaging for your contact, as this is a 'precise' and personal share, not just sharing an article.

I'd be interested in what other community members think.

• 🔝

• Thanks Samina

I am put at ease by your response. I have contacted my contact on LinkedIn. I gave an overview of the information first and asked if my contact wanted details (e.g. the person's name). She did and I sent the details. I feel like I have done the right thing as had she worked with this individual it may have compromised her - and I would have felt complicit in that.

Best wishes,

Gary

This reply was deleted.

Members

Click here to see a full list of members including our Facilitators.

Did you know that if you go to the list of members, the Members Online button will show you who is online right now? Why not say hello?

What's Happening?

More…

CIPD Branch Events

Did you know your local CIPD branch will put on relevant events that are free to CIPD members.

Take a look for your local branch here and what events are happening. Remember attending these events are great CPD evidence.

CIPD Branch Event Search