Mental Health in the Work Place

Morning all

As we are aware, Mental Health is becoming more common in people than ever before. I currently work in a business where we have not got a supporting procedure document in place, nethertheless we of course support our staff if arises, however we do not hold any advice or support on this. Nor do we have a Mental Health Advisor in our organisation. However, my colleague and I have been given the approval to gather some ideas together and make this happen.

Anyone else started this from scratch? Any ideas if possible?

Thanks,

Amy :)

You need to be a member of DPG Community to add comments!

Join DPG Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Amy,

We have been developing our approach to Mental Health as a part of our Health & Wellbeing Strategy. There is lots of advice, information and resources available at Mind.org.uk and MHFA England. MHFA England also offer certified training options so that organisations are able to roll out Mental Helath First Aid certificate courses (1/2 day, 1 day and 2-day adult courses are available).

Kind regards,

Robyn

• Dear Amy,

I must agree with you the Mental Health awareness is growing between the people. I would like to give some advise 'How we can cope on daily basis at work and at home'.

• sleep have a good sleep especially when you having a great deal to do at work
    • breaks make sure you use them go for walk, get away from your desk and plan your holiday
    • relationships spend time with people you love and care for them
    • hobbies could be anything you like to do; dancing, reading,gardning and so on
    • diet eat and drink in moderation ,don't eat at your desk and drink enough water
    • exercise can keep you alive ( it does for me)  if helps to keep your head clear and you won't feel so tired at work
    • don't be slave to modern technology which shoudn't be replaced with a good communications with family and friends all the time, try to use less as posible and largely less before your sleep. You could replace it with a good old fashionable book before your sleep.

Hope this helps.

Birute

• Morning Birute

Thank you so much. This gives me a great introduction.

:)

• Hi Amy,

I am glad it helps :-)

Birute

• We offer a lot around mental health, you need to work to prevent it as well as dealing with cases as they arise. We do have a dedicated health & wellbeing advisor who arranges lots or inititiatives for staff to get involved in. We have an EAP, listening service, yoga/pilates on site at subsidised rates, gym membership discounts, art therapy type sessions, walking groups, coaching etc. to encourage people to actively look after their mental wellbeing. We run in-house workshops on mental health for staff and for managers. Stress risk assessments are carried out for staff and referals to occupational health. The health and wellbeing advisor works closley with HR & L&D to actively promote and target harder to reach areas or teams that are more vulnerabel due to the type of work they do.

• Morning Linzi

That is really helpful thank you.

Do you have a draft document of this i could hopefully see?

This reply was deleted.

CIPD Branch Events

Did you know your local CIPD branch will put on relevant events that are free to CIPD members.

Take a look for your local branch here and what events are happening. Remember attending these events are great CPD evidence.

CIPD Branch Event Search

Members

Click here to see a full list of members including our Facilitators.

Did you know that if you go to the list of members, the Members Online button will show you who is online right now? Why not say hello?