UK citizens usually prepare for weather that requires strong umbrellas or thick scarves. Lately, the country’s taken a Mediterranean turn, weather-wise -- an impossible thought six months back.
In such alien conditions, it is worth considering how to stay safe/function-on-a-basic-level at work.
- Workplace temperature -- The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 demand that your employer provides a “reasonable” working temperature. Ask them to give you this if they aren’t already.
- Water -- Despite the alarming shortage of water, you need to be drinking it constantly. Have a bottle (glass preferably – be sustainable!) by you at all times.
- Clothing --There’s no legal obligation for your employer to relax the company dress code. Get together with colleagues and beat on your boss’ door with rulers/ask nicely. They may let you wear more comfortable threads.
- Lunchtime wine -- As you step out the office, that beer garden over the road looks good doesn’t it? Lunch-break drinking is a complex matter. Will a glass or two impair your ability to do your job, or affect the safety of others? Even if you don’t think it will, check company policy.
- Avoid indulging in: -- Tea, coffee, and sugary drinks. Sorry!
Do you have any tips for staying cool in this crazy weather? Comment below, and help others stay safe!