Happy New Year everyone! I hope you had a good end to 2015. I'm a fan of New Year's resolutions because I think it can be useful to sit down and think about what you would like to do or achieve in the year ahead. And to reflect back on that at the end of the year. So, have you made any that related to your role in L&D? I'm still mulling over mine but reading and writing more will be on the list.

You need to be a member of DPG Community to add comments!

Join DPG Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Going to bed earlier and starting my day earlier - was intrigued by this - How waking up at 4.30 changed my life
    • Reading more 
    • Blogging again 
    • Being braver and less self-critical 

• 4.30, Mike! Wow, let us know how you get on with that. I love the rest of your list too. I've heard a lot of people say L&D needs to be more brave. maybe this is the year to be a little bit more brave in what we do and how we do it.

• I've made it my intention to help at least 50 L&D managers have more time to spend with their business by reducing the time they have to spend on sourcing external training for their companies. 

• You are going to make 50 L&D managers very happy Blake! Good luck with reaching your target.

• Happy New Year.

When I think back to 2015, I clearly see how chaotically busy I was, so this year, I have resolved to be more organised. I am studying the Level 7 at the moment, and I think I underestimates how much work is involved, so I have therefore devised a plan for this year, to make sure I am not burnt out by Christmas 2016!

I also definitely want to read more HR literature. I have books coming out of my ears, and don't make nearly as much use of them as I should do.  

Regards

Debbie

• Hi Debbie

Good luck with your studies. I think that having a plan is a great way to get things done, if you can stick to it that is! I agree with reading more. Part of me thinks we should set up a book club in this forum to give a focus to reading/reflection and discussion. I like the idea of having a goal with reading.

Martin

• Happy new year and good luck Debbie with your resolutions and especially with your studies, which I have found has pretty well stolen my life for the last two years :)

I really like the idea of a book club. Trouble is for those on the L7, there is little time for reading outside the topic being studied.

Perhaps the book club could choose a topic that happens to be on the L7 timetable at the time - I know that would be tricky if there are 2 cohorts working on different topics. My current topic is knowledge management (and organisational learning). There is more literature on KMOL than you can shake a stick at! I wouldn't know where to start regarding recommending a book to read.

If we had a book club Martin, would we read newly published books (say one a month) and discuss them on the forum? There is a review page in CIPD's People Management - perhaps we could choose one of them to read and discuss? Of course most new books are not even remotely cheap. The cheapest on December's review page is £16.99 for e real book with paper pages, (21st Century Networking by David Sole and Belinda Roberts) or £14.67 for an e book (Why Should Anyone Work Here? by Rob Goffee and Gareth Jones.)

I have my IBI to complete which will probably take me out of the equation for the next 3 months, but once I have finished I would really be up for joining a book club. As you say it enhances a focussed discussion, which would probably be great from the CPD perspective.

• Hi Alison

Thanks for such a positive response. Point taken about study time and fitting everything in. I like the idea of a book club being a part of studying, if that's possible. Will let your thinking percolate . . . sounds like we might be able to have a book club here as long as we can find good, relevant reading that could also fit into studies!

Martin

• Hi Both. Great discussion. Love the idea of a book club.

Debbie, I'm intrigued by your plan particularly if your approach is helpful and potentially helpful to others studying. I'm interested in what you have planned to do differently?

• Hi Ady,

Thanks for your feedback. More than happy to share how I have planned my study work if it helps anyone else.

The way I have approached it is looking for each module, what workbooks there are, how long the eLesson is and obviously looking at the text book(s) that accompany the module. From that, I have split my time up through each week allocating time to reading, workbook sessions etc. In doing that I have allocated 3 hour slots each study time. My attention drifts after that time, so I see no point in slogging away at it and it not going in.

The changes I have made in my study plans is initially to incorporate a night of the week off study. I also allocate one hour sessions at work to do some research around journals or CIPD factsheets etc. I have also changed how I study by incorporating more reading time for this year. There is so much to read, and last year I didn't prioritize reading so I missed a lot.

Within my plan, I allocate a month prior to an exam purely for studying around the exam  module and revision.

I would advise anyone if they do a study plan, that they must not feel they have failed if they do not stick to it. It's only a guide, it's not set in stone because the work will get done, but I like to plan it so that it doesn't look so daunting all at once because there is a lot. 

I do hope that is of some use to others.

Best

Debbie

This reply was deleted.

CIPD Branch Events

Did you know your local CIPD branch will put on relevant events that are free to CIPD members.

Take a look for your local branch here and what events are happening. Remember attending these events are great CPD evidence.

CIPD Branch Event Search

Members

Click here to see a full list of members including our Facilitators.

Did you know that if you go to the list of members, the Members Online button will show you who is online right now? Why not say hello?