Hi all,

I have just started in my new HR role and one question i've been asked is an employee query with regards to holiday that was pre-agreed before joining the company. the Employee seems to think this shouldn't come out of their annual holiday entitlement.

My natural reaction is that it should; the company may accommodate the dates that have already been agreed however since joining the company you are entitled to a certain number of days leave per year which will be pro-rated from the employee's start date. The pre-agreed holiday should therefore be taken out of the employee's annual entitlement.

The employee is complaining and has claimed there is a 'rule' which dictates any pre-agreed holiday prior to starting a new role should be given as additional leave and should not be taken out of their annual entitlement. I have looked but cannot find anything on this 'rule'. Is anyone else aware of this and would you agree with my opinion above?

Thanks so much!

Sophie

You need to be a member of DPG Community to add comments!

Join DPG Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Heidi,

That's really helpful, and i agree with all of your points. Thank you so much!

Will be interesting to see other reponses too.

kind regards

Sophie

This reply was deleted.

Members

Click here to see a full list of members including our Facilitators.

Did you know that if you go to the list of members, the Members Online button will show you who is online right now? Why not say hello?

CIPD Branch Events

Did you know your local CIPD branch will put on relevant events that are free to CIPD members.

Take a look for your local branch here and what events are happening. Remember attending these events are great CPD evidence.

CIPD Branch Event Search